Monday, November 26, 2018

Pizza Planet

I'm not sure how to crop the image in blogger, and it reverted to the original when I tried to crop it in google docs.

The next painting I am going to share with you is my pizza planet painting. This is also one of my favorites. I painted this project 3 years ago in my painting class in high school. I really like this painting because it looks like it’s glowing. The purpose of the entire project was is fact to create a “sign” that looked like it was glowing.

The technique was kind of difficult to learn, so we had to practice before we started painting the real thing. The technique starts with a single white line painted in the middle. Then, you surround the white line with increasingly darker shades of the same color. You do not blend the colors together. Up close it looks kind of odd, but from far away the painting looks like it is glowing! Pretty cool, huh?

The first step was to choose an image. It took me a long time to choose this image. I google searched “signs that glow” among other things, and I finally stumbled upon the pizza planet sign from Toy Story. It’s not the exact logo, but it is similar and the same restaurant name. To transfer the image to a large piece of cardboard, we traced the image onto transparency paper and projected an enlarged image onto the whiteboard in the classroom. We taped the cardboard to the whiteboard and traced the image!

Next, it was time to start painting. This step took a decent amount of time because there were a lot of precise lines that had to be painted. I used the colors red, yellow, and blue because they are the primary colors, and the thought they would look the best when they were “glowing”

At the end of the school year, this painting was a part of my high school’s art show! I was very proud of myself because it was my first painting that had made it in. Now, the painting hangs in my boyfriend’s room, so I don’t see it much, but I am glad that it is somewhere and not just hidden under my bed like the rest of my art!

No comments:

Post a Comment